Tuesday, March 11, 2014

St. Louise Response Exercise

Watching a cameraless film this time around was a different experience. Being able to watch it this time, I was able to notice certain techniques that were used to complete assignment one. A few aspects that stood out to me were the use of animation, scratching, and film stock with pre-recorded footage. Doing the animation for assignment one was a good starting place for what I completed, and seeing what the Scratch Film Junkies did with the use of the arrows was great. It's what I would like to accomplish if I continue to do cameraless film projects. Scratching is a simple component, but what made the difference here was that they scratched the film after using paint or ink. It's a very simple task that slipped my mind. The end result looks really cool when it's lightly scratched because you can still see the colors. The scratching was also used to reveal certain portions of the stock to show the image beneath like with the monkey. The use of pre-recorded footage was great because in some instances they doctored it very minimally, and in others they went all out. One of the later ones is a little boy holding a camera and I loved the simple use of off setting it and putting a border along one side.

I also enjoyed the use of bleaching and blocking. The music was laid-back and it matched the flow of the images. Something I'd want to learn how to do is the stencils in the beginning. There were a few shots where the screen is black that there are green splotches that look somewhat 3D. It'd be awesome to learn how to make that effect as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment