Sunday, March 30, 2014

Bridgman Packer

The workshop portion we had with Bridgman Packer was an interesting experience. I wasn't expecting to loosen up and dance. With that said, I was somewhat glad there were actually dancers there because I'm sure most if not all of us were not as comfortable with using our bodies. On top of that, it was nice to mirror or feel a sense of encouragement to loosen up from the dancers but especially for the camera. It was a little intimidating at moments because I had no idea what to do or how to move. That's what makes us different from dancers, we're used to being behind the camera or being directed. As filmmakers we think about placements on screen but we don't consider movement of the body and how that translates to the big screen. The whole concept of using cameras and projections together was something I never consider for creating my own work, but now that I've experienced it, it's one experimental way I'll keep in mind. 


The actual performance that Friday was far from what I was expecting despite our attendance to the workshop. Both pieces were very well thought out, however, the first half resonated with me a lot better. Bridgman and Packer did an amazing job using both the curtain and their own bodies and costumes for the projections. With the curtain piece, it was cool because at certain points it took me a second or two to figure out if it was the projected image of them or if it were actually them. The portion with the instillation was a bit harder to grasp. Projection and image wise, it was clearly well thought out. It was interesting to see their image and not their actual body on stage. Something about that is very powerful -  to be somewhere but not physically. 

Overall, I thought it was a great experience. It would have been great to have other opportunities like this in my other years here at school. I found it beneficial and think it could be a great source of inspiration for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment